History

A world of its own

The Hotel Val-Vignes is far from an ordinary hotel; it is a building steeped in history, witness to the transformations of the region over the years. Discover the extraordinary history of the place below.

Val-Vignes

 

760-774

A Benedictine priory was founded at Saint-Hippolyte by Mr Fulrad, Abbot of Saint-Denis.

9th century

Saint-Hippolyte priory, which declined rapidly, became an outbuilding of the Saint Alexandre de Lièpvre priory.

1052

Saint-Hippolyte priory was placed under Lorraine protection.

1310-1316

Saint-Hippolyte became a town with ramparts.

Late 15th century

The Duke of Lorraine asserted his power by building two large towers inside the town in the Northwest corner of the ramparts.

Circa 1550

A cannon tower was built.

1608-1632

The Lepois family represented the Duke of Lorraine at Saint-Hippolyte. Provost François Lepois was the brother of Charles Lepois, doctor of the Duke, first Dean of the Jesuit faculty of medicine at Pont-à-Mousson.

1718

The Treaty of Paris handed Saint-Hippolyte back to the Lorrains. Duke Léopold (1679-1729) sent the Chevalier de Gircourt to receive the sworn allegiance of the population, mark out his property and set up a new administration system.

1761

Birth of Guillaume-Joseph Chaminade, founder of the Society of Mary, on 8 April in Périgueux.

1785

Guillaume-Joseph Chaminade was ordained as a priest and worked at Mussidan college as a teacher and bursar.

1797

After the Revolution, Guillaume-Joseph Chaminade refused to take an oath to the Civil Constitution of Clergymen.

1817

On 2 October in Bordeaux, creation of the Society of Mary to which Marianist monks belong.

1826

Guillaume-Joseph Chaminade, Bordeaux priest and founder of the Society of Mary, took possession of the Château de Saint-Hippolyte following a donation. He undertook transformation works there to build a Novitiate. Soon the building was to accommodate around a hundred pupils and it was then called a “college”.

1849

Father Léo Meyer left for the USA.

1850

Death of Guillaume-Joseph Chaminade in Bordeaux, on 22 January, at the age of 89.

1883

Arrival of Messrs. Séraphin Ansel, Sibus, Louis Rusch and Joseph Vollmar in Tunis (Tunisia).

1888

Arrival of the five Founders of the Society of Mary, including three Alsatians, in Japan. Today, three schools and one university are still active.

1898

Birth of Jakob Gapp on 26 July.

1943

Wanted by the Nazis, Father Jakob Gapp was arrested at Hendaye and taken as a prisoner to Berlin where he was decapitated on 13 August in Plötzensee prison.

1946

Opening of an Ecole Normale in Brazzaville (Congo).

1968

Some parents wanted their sons to remain as boarders at the College beyond fifth grade. These boys formed the “Foyer”: boarders at Saint-Hippolyte, they attended the classes of College Saint-André in Colmar, which was also run by Marianists.

1986

At the start of the new school year, the pupils no longer went to the Institution Saint-Marie. What the people of Saint-Hippolyte still call the College des Frères became a rest home for elderly monks from the Province of France. Father Hasler became the parish priest of Saint-Hippolyte.

2008

Val-Vignes took over from the College.

2009

The Marianist Foundation was recognised as being in the public interest.

Today

Today the Society of Mary represents 10 schools and 11,500 pupils in France, and 102 schools and around a thousand monks across the world.